Wicked Witch of the Wool

My adventures in knitting and my daily life on the farm.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Ketchup

Don't know what the deal is, but even though a lot of fibery things have happened I haven't felt like updating the blog. Therefore, today is dedicated to ketchup, or catch-up.

The weekend before Thanksgiving I took a felting class at the Llama Store. It was loads of fun, but it was brutal on my body; my hands and back in particular. I still need to felt my pieces a little more, and I have purchased a needle felting kit for just that purpose. It was a jolly group; there were five of us. I only knew blogless Sabine from before. BTW, thank you again so much Sabine for the lovely chocolate covered marsipan. It has now taken up permanent residence on my hips.
We got to make 2 big pieces of felt that we have to cut and sew together in shape to make a vest. See, that's my problem. I am a far cry from a seamstress, so I fear those pieces will forever stay as they are.
Here is the front:



And the back:



I still need to add to the flower as I needle felt it. THere was just not enough time during the class to give it enough attention.

I also finished the luxurious qiviut cowl that will be a Christmas present to my mom. It hasn't been blocked yet, but I stretched it over an empty box to give you an idea of what it looks like. It is incredibly warm and weighs only 1 ounce. I had a whopping 2 yards left at the end, so it made for a scary knit.



Right now I'm working on 2 different projects. I'm making the Diamond Edge Moebius Scarf which is a fairly mindless knit. I'm making it out of Brooks Farms silk/mohair/wool that I got at the Estes Park fiber festival earlier this year. It feels wonderful, but it splits very easily. That makes it a little hard doing the k3tog's.



And then this: Elsebeth Lavold's Estrud from the second collection of Viking Knits. This is certainly a stretch for me. It takes a lot of time, patience and precision. I fear it is going to take me a loooong time to finish.



We are just starting to warm up a bit after a deep arctic freeze blew through the last couple of days. It was 15 below this morning when I got out of bed. It has been quite the challenge getting outside to feed the critters. Luckily all was well this morning; even Horatio our solitary rooster was happily running around.
So, this was a quick update. Let's see if I can keep you posted more regularly.

3 Comments:

Blogger Maus said...

the Lavold looks absolutely wonderful! And your vest felt, ohhhh the colors!! That is so beautiful!!

Thu Nov 30, 03:16:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Linda said...

Gorgeous stuff, Ellen!

I'm loving the Lavold, it's a challenge, but so worth it. And since I'm working on one myself, I'm always intrigued by how other people's are turning out.

Fri Dec 01, 10:22:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Fri Dec 01, 10:48:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home