Wicked Witch of the Wool

My adventures in knitting and my daily life on the farm.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Shooting Blanks - or, It's the Second Hole From the Neck, You Dumb Buck!

Lancelot, my cashmere buck, must be one dpn short of a sock kit, I guess. Leslie came back into raging heat last week. I witnessed countless attempts on Lancelot's part to get the job done, but it seems like my educational procreation talk with him last time had went unnoticed. The poor guy tried a multitude of angles and orifices (I'm trying to not be too graphic here), but somehow he missed the finer points of baby making. If she comes back yet again I fear hubby and I need to jump in and assist. Ever smelled a buck in rut? Not the nicest perfume, I can assure you, but Leslie would beg to differ. Annabelle has not shown any interest in him whatsoever, and he hasn't courted her either. She might be pregnant already, but given his amateurish behavior I'm concerned she might be open too. Stay tuned for more news here at Goat Central.



Hubby was gone all last week. He went to visit family back in Holland. That left me a lot of time to work on the cardi from Hell. I am pleased to inform you that it is stick-a-fork-in-me-I'm-done. Unfortunately I'm very disappointed. I blocked the living daylights out of it and it is still very short, especially in the back. It is extremely wide, to the point of being uncomfortably wide. I nailed the gauge, and the measurements are accurate. Serves me right, I should have payed more attention to the specifics of the pattern. Now I know why the model is standing bent forward and sideways in the picture. Too bad; the kit was very expensive and I spent more than 100 hours making it. Remind me to never make a project this big with cotton. It was really rough on my hands.



This week I'll be very busy cleaning llama fleeces. At the shearing of my llamas this summer it turned out that only Apollo's fleece was high enough quality to bother spinning. That left me with Einstein and Lone Star's fleeces. What to do with them? Well, I found a purpose for them. I am taking a felting class this coming Saturday at the Llama Store, which means I have a lot of work to do preparing the fleece. Here is what I'm looking at to get cleaned. Ugh!



Occasionally I'll get totally smitten with an artist, be it a musician, painter, fiber-god(dess), or something else. This is what I have been enjoying looking at and listening to recently:
First up, here and here. I saw them on Jay Leno last week and had to look them up. I especially her voice. The band is named after the singer, Damien Rice, but I am awestruck by Lisa Hannigan's voice. I went to iTunes and purchased their 2 previous cd's and pre-ordered their new one coming out this week.
I found the most amazing spinning wheels online at Golding Shepherds. My goodness, that's truly art! Now if I only could afford one of them.
For those of you residing in the Denver area, there is a wonderful art gallery where a friend of mine is exhibiting her jewelry. Her name is Anna Blake. Go here to see what they are currently showing. There is even some shawl pins and some fiber arts.

I'll leave you with a picture of the skies on fire, taken a few days ago.....

4 Comments:

Blogger MJ said...

Nice sky pic :)
Your goat definately needs help with the technique! But that is just too funny! I was raised on a farm, but our animals always figured it out on their own! I have heard of owners having to get involved though, but glad I never had to assist - yuk! Best wishes on that!

Mon Nov 13, 01:00:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dumb Buck indeed ;)

Mon Nov 13, 05:38:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Maus said...

I still like the cardi and think it looks very good on you! Just let it hang the way it wants to and don't think about it. Sometimes I need adjusting to knit items, I really wasn't too fond of my Electra jacket at first and now I love it. Give it some time.

Mon Nov 13, 05:41:00 PM 2006  
Blogger robin-m said...

Had a HUGE belly laugh at your poor buck's expense. I was reading your blog in a small window -- and I was thinking "how bad could this be?" Then I scrolled down and saw the picture! Oh dear, oh dear. Clearly this buck missed high school health class. :) -- robin

Sun Oct 21, 02:33:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home