Wicked Witch of the Wool

My adventures in knitting and my daily life on the farm.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

It's a Beautiful Morning!

This is what I woke up to.



I tend to get up at the crack of dawn. Being post-menopausal can be a b*tch. However, this morning was just beautiful. I had a little added incentive to get out of bed as well. Nugget, my Anatolian shepherd had jumped the fence last night for the first time in 3 years. I could hear him barking and chasing coyotes all night. I finally caught him around 8AM. He was exhausted, but happy.

So, what has been going on since my last blog entry? Last Friday, Christy came up to use the drum carder. She had this gorgeous alpaca cria fleece (named Burt), and it came out beautifully.




We also got to play with the goats. They are suckers for anything edible. Christy had some fun on the deck feeding them bread out of hand. Speaking of goats; I had hoped that my doe would be pregnant by now. But yesterday Leslie began to be extremely amorous towards Lancelot. Poor Lancelot does not quite seem to understand what to do with her. She is flagging her tail and presenting her hind end to him. Lancelot is trying to mount her, only he favors doing it sideways. I had a long talk with him this morning, explaining the finer details of baby-making. Hopefully he'll get the picture soon.

I had to miss Saturday's knit meet. DH and I went out and got some more cattle panels and t-posts to make the billy pen. Once the does are confirmed pregnant we're planning on separating the goats to ensure the billy does not head-butt the does and thus jeopardize the pregnancy.
We also stopped by the Apple Store to get the new Apple Mini. My laptop had been working non-stop for 3 years, but was getting a little old and sketchy. I love this new computer. It has a large screen and all kinds of cool features.
Sunday was spent building the billy pen and watching football.

Yesterday Maus came up to visit, and we went to The Red Wheel where she will be taking weaving classes for the next 6 weeks. We also went to Knitty Cat (sadly closed on Mondays) and Strings, where we looked at Twisted Sisters knitting kits. Unfortunately, Maus didn't find a colorway she liked for the Jaywalker cardigan. I did go away with 2 balls of Louisa Harding Kimono Angora, enough to make a fabulously decadent pair of socks. It is 70% angora, 25% wool and 5% nylon, and I have no clue if it will make a good sock or not, but I'll give it a try.
Then today I whipped down to the Llama Store for a quick morning knit group. I had to fondle all the new fibery goodies, and of course I had to make a little purchase. I bought 2 handpainted skeins of 100% alpaca by Lonesome Stone Color Collection. It's Breastcancer Awareness Month, so I have to think pink.



On my way back home the weather had turned nasty. I encountered freezing rain and thick fog. At some points I could see maybe 20 yards ahead of me. Yuk. This is what it looks like now....

And, lo and behold, I just went out to put the horses in the barn and out of the weather. This is the sight that greated me:



Maybe we'll have little kidlets in March after all!

3 Comments:

Blogger Carson said...

I was just over at Dancing With Wool and I read your advice about Lene's Miina, and when it's time to let your dog go, and just wanted to let you know I thought that was very sensitive and caring advice.
I guess it's at the front of my mind at the moment as a colleague's spaniel has just been diagnosed w/ lymphoma and they're facing a very very hard decision. My partner and I talked last night about what we would do in that situation with our dog.
I like your blog..and I hope you do get some kidlets soon! And you share the photos!

Tue Oct 17, 05:19:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Maus said...

Too funny with Billie, looks like he finally got it :) I really enjoyed watching her rubbing on his side, talk about horny!
How is y our snow this morning? We got plenty of it.

Wed Oct 18, 08:46:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Maus said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wed Oct 18, 08:46:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home