Wicked Witch of the Wool

My adventures in knitting and my daily life on the farm.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Snow, snow, here we go!



Albeit much less snow than forecast - I expected to wake up to several inches this morning - it is still snow! Tomorrow might bring more. I hope the dratted flies will die soon. They are feeling the cold and are trying to worm their way inside. I guess that's the beauty of living rural with a lot of livestock.

Last Saturday we held our KnitMeet at the lovely fiber shop Table Rock Llama and Fiber Store. If only I knew how to make links work, I would surely make something "clickable" to direct you there. The ladies brought all kinds of goodies to eat and knit. Funny how yarn and food obsession always seems to go hand in hand. Fab Phoebe brought the samples of the fur-trimmed jackets. I fell completely in love with a raccoon-trimmed jacket, but the jacket itself didn't fit me well. Bummer! After the KnitMeet, my DH and I went down to Douglas County fairgrounds and visited with the alpacas there. If I had gone by myself, I would most likely have done some more fibery stash enhancement, but, oh well. I have enough fiber to keep my wheel going all winter long.



My Kromski is parked in front of the window and I'm busy spinning up enough Alpaca with a Twist roving to knit up a scarf for the DH. I'm kinda on a deadline here, as the scarf needs to be done in about 3 weeks.
I did do some more stash enhancement, though. I bought this:



And this:



I had been oggling the gorgeous Quiviut (Muskox) yarn at the Llama store for several months already, and since I had a $4o credit at the store I finally bit the bullet and made it go home with me. I'm making the Tiger Eye Lace scarf with it.

Sunday was a very dreary day, spent inside by the fire and in front of the tv watching football. I managed to finish yet another Phoebe jacket, this time in pink. I've got enough angora yarn to finish 2 more pink ones, and a white one. That will make the grand total of 8 jackets. It's a fun, quick knit, and the angora is so soft to knit with. The added bonus is that I make a little bit of money knitting. I have my eyes set on some gorgeous snakeskin boots............

Yesterday was spent partially at the hairdresser. I then had to run home and get all the critters taken care of before the snow. Today I'll be out in the barn holding horses for the farrier. What's left of the day looks good for some serious knitting and spinning.

I'll leave you with a final picture. Moby wan Kanobi was none too pleased by having his sleep disturbed for this photo.

4 Comments:

Blogger Crazy Colorado Knitter said...

i try to explain it to people, and they don't understand that you can have 80 degree weather one day, and snow so soon after.

I'm glad you'll get time to knit and spin today -- it's a good day for it! Cool, a little bit wetter than usual, but a good day for a cup of tea and some fibery goodness.

Tue Oct 10, 11:28:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Ellen said...

Lisa,

it was all around on, under, and behind the tables of individual exhibitors. I stopped and talked to some lovely people who wanted to practically give me a whole bag of bell-ends (I think they're called that - a lovely roving made of the leftovers from the fiber mill) in a lovely variagated natural coloring. Unfortunately I had left my wallet at home, and Jan was saying I had enough fiber at home. True, but no fair! :-(
I got a sample of a lovely cream colored cria fleece, and I know I could have bought complete fleeces without a problem. You just had to talk to the people and ask about their products.

I even had someone who wanted to sell me some young alpaca geldings for $500 a piece. We have no more space for alpacas, as they can't be housed with our intact male llamas, nor do I dare put them in with our horses.

I'm wondering if the exhibitors had decided to break down early due to the weather on Sunday? Bummer for you :-(

Tue Oct 10, 12:35:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute Moby. :) Sounds like you guys had a great time at the Llama store. And yay for you getting something you really wanted out of that credit.

To make a link, type:

<*a href=full url>Text<*/a> but remove the *s. For example <*a href=http://brieza.livejournal.com>Brie's page<*/a> will create a link to my page: Brie's page

Tue Oct 10, 08:46:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Maus said...

Wow you STARTED with the soft stuff? How does it knit?? Does it feel wonderful in your hands? The Llama store people said you'll definitely have to come and show what you do with it. They also say they have two Saturdays of the month where we can come and play in the back room!!
We had considerably more snow, but it dripped off the trees in the afternoon.

Wed Oct 11, 05:03:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home