Wicked Witch of the Wool

My adventures in knitting and my daily life on the farm.

Monday, September 18, 2006

A Colorful Weekend



Saturday morning several of the SWA ladies met up at Christy's place for some major dyeing. It was a lot of fun, and we got to experiment a lot with mixing our own colors and shades of colors. Of course, there was a ton of yummy food to be had as well. There even was some spinning!

This is my skein of fall colors; I think I'll call it Autumn Folly. These colors are not what I normally would choose to buy, so it was quite fun to make.

The top picture is of my first attempt at a skein on a warping board. Not for the feint of heart, I'll tell ya. It takes forever to wind, and apparently I did it wrong, so it will be a total mess trying to wind back into a managable skein.

This skein turned out totally different than I had envisioned. I mixed up a burgundy color and kept diluting it with water. To finish it up, I added some grey on top. When I rinsed it out, most of the red coloring disappeared, and this is what it became. Kinda cool, even though it was very much unexpected.

Finally, I also dyed a few silk caps. It was my first time even seeing a silk cap, so it was an interesting experience.

Thank you so much, Christy, for yet again hosting such a wonderful day. Now I need to find out what I want to knit with this stuff.....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first one is so pretty! I hope you can get it wound up again so you can knit with it.

Mon Sep 18, 03:02:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Autumn Folly is gorgeous! I'll make you the same offer I made Lisa - if you get sick of detangling, I'm happy to do it. It's a great stress reliever for me.

Tue Sep 19, 01:46:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Maus said...

gooooorgeous colors!!!
I hope your mouth feels better, jacket looks cool too :) mine is dark pink and Phoebe shall have it :)

Wed Sep 27, 08:07:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home