Wicked Witch of the Wool

My adventures in knitting and my daily life on the farm.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Here we go again......

Snow is falling - again. We are expecting an even bigger storm than the one we got last week. Even though I love a big storm, this one is coming at a time where it is somewhat inconvenient. Not as inconvenient as for some people who are undoubtedly going to be stranded at the airport again (poor folks), but my birthday is tomorrow and we had lots of fun stuff planned for the day. I also had planned to host our weekly knitmeet on Saturday, but the outlook is such that we have postponed it until next week.

In knitting news; Santa brought me blocking wires, so I set out to block the Earnshaw sweater. Now, I'm a big girl. I'm 5'8 and not skinny by any stretch of the imagination. I started to knit the XL size, but soon noticed it was going to be too big. Switched to Small and even knit the sleeves a little shorter than the pattern called for. After blocking, the sleeves turned out be about 6 inches too long. Oh boy! Luckily I can turn the cuffs, so it isn't that big a deal. What I do find annoying however, is that the angora part of of the Kochoran yarn is shedding like crazy. My t-shirt is covered, my pants are covered, the chair I sit in is full of little white hairs, and my new knitting project is lazed with angora now. How long will this go on? Hopefully it will slow down after a while. Here is a picture of the sweater after blocking.



Right now I'm working on the Rolling Thunder socks from the Winter 2006 Knitty issue. It's my first time beading, and even though it is a slight pain in the rear I am loving the process.



Santa brought me lots of knitterly things for Christmas. In addition to the blocking wires, I got the full Knitpicks needle set complete with the snazzy storage binder. I also got a sweater stone (to remove pilling), a handy optical tube to help select colors to fit together (look through the tube too much and you'll think you're on an acid trip) and a sock pattern. Got some other things too, but they don't qualify under the knitting category.

Well, I'm sure we'll be snuggling up by the fire in the coming days. I've brought Monopoly, Scrabble, and Risk up from the basement, and I am certain we'll be doing a lot of this too:



Stay warm, dry, and safe out there........

2 Comments:

Blogger MJ said...

Wow, you have alot of knitting going on! Love the sweater and the new socks! Have fun and stay warm! we can come over another time!

Fri Dec 29, 11:09:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Maus said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRL!!!!!! and many many more :)
Love the chew and cuddle picture with the dogs, life the way it should be!!
The Korchoran sweater looks great with the cuffs rolled, I do like it better than unrolled, very cozy, sorry that the fluff is giving you hard times, mine doesn't really at all. The socks look complicated, much more thinking then I would like to do right now...

Fri Dec 29, 04:21:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home