Wicked Witch of the Wool

My adventures in knitting and my daily life on the farm.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Mea Culpa


I forgot to post the origin of the fiber I showed you a few days ago. Here it is, my Anatolian shepherd, Nuggett. Poor guy has such a thick coat. He can't wait 'till winter, when he simply loves sleeping outside in the snow. We don't leave him outside at night. He'll bark all night long, and we'd like to keep our neighbors happy. Living with an Anatolian is an exercise in patience. The word "shepherd" is very misleading, as shepherds usually aim to please their master. Not so with an Anatolian shepherd. They are a Turkish breed, and are used to guard the sheep and goats. They live with the flock, and guard them against bears and wolves. Nuggett hates coyotes with a passion, and will kill them if he can get to them. The independent nature of an Anatolian makes it almost impossible to train him. If he doesn't want to come when called, he'll stay outside until you physically come and get him. All this aside, we have been very lucky with our dog. He is well socialized and is very friendly towards other dogs and people.

I just had to run outside. Effie, my oldest German shepherd started screaming in pain. I think she got head butted by our billy goat, Lancelot. She's fine, but she needs to learn to leave the goats alone.
Today is a quiet day. We were supposed to haul our yearling horse off to the trainer, but I can't get a hold of the trainer to let her know we're coming. Bummer. I'd rather not do the hauling tomorrow as I'm planning on meeting with some of the ladies from my knitting group. Since the day just opened up, I've put a nice Sunday roast in the crockpot. It will be simmering for the next 8 hours, and will hopefully be yummy. I love my crockpot. Had to buy a new one, as I'd used the old one to dye yarn in.

Yesterday I went to Joann's to get some swarowski crystal beads for the edging of Icarus. I have 10 more rows to go before the edging, so the end is in sight. Each row takes over 30 minutes to complete, so I'm about fed up with Icarus at this point. I stopped by String in Highlands Ranch as well and stocked up on some Koigu and some lovely pink Classic Yarn Cashsoft DK. I'm thinking of making a moebius shawl once the Icarus monster is done.

Well, I'm going to get some knitting done while I watch US Open tennis. See ya later.....

1 Comments:

Blogger Maus said...

Nugget is just too wonderful :)
Danggit, I absolutely missed the open this year, this is usually a wonderful knitting time to watch the whole thing. We used to GO there when we were back east, very exciting stuff.
Poor Effie, I hope she didn't get head butted too bad!!
Where is String/Highlands Ranch??

Mon Sep 04, 08:15:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home