Wicked Witch of the Wool

My adventures in knitting and my daily life on the farm.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

First real post

OK, so here's the deal; I'm jumping on the blog bandwagon, but I can't promise I'll be able to post on a daily basis. We'll just have to wait and see how I can fit this into my daily schedule.
Yesterday's picture was of my 2 cashmere does, Annabelle and Leslie. I also have a billy; Lancelot. Can't wait until spring when I can get my first harvest of cashmere :-) Right now, Lancelot is getting himself into a lot of trouble. He evidently really likes to eat thistles, and we have to "de-burr" him every day. Those suckers really get stuck in his coat (read: I'm losing valuable cashmere, dangit), so DH went on a thistle hunt and we now hope we've got all the offenders removed.

On the knitting front, this is what I'm doing right now


Yep, that's the icarus shawl from IK Summer 2006 issue. I kinda wish I'd done this shawl as my first venture into lace knitting and not my second, as the loooooong repeats of chart 1 were very tedious. I'm now on chart 3, so the end is in sight. I'm knitting it with Alpaca with a Twist, Fino, which is 70% Baby Alpaca and 30% Silk. It is a delight to knit with, and especially now that I've finally gotten my Knitpicks needles. YAY! I'm planning on adding beads to the edging; that'll be interesting, I've never done that before.

I'm already thinking about my next project. When my LYS, the Red Wheel, had their close-out sale, I got my hot little hands on some delicious cashmere/silk at 50% off. They only had one skein left, so I need to find a pattern for a scarf that only takes a little over 100 yards. Hmmm, haven't been able to find anything I like yet. with yarn as soft as this stuff, I really want to make something that I can snuggle around my neck. I also really want to make a lacy cowl of some sorts, but I don't think I'll have enough yarn for that. Ah, another project in the planning.

I haven't been able to do any spinning for the past few months. My mom was staying with us for 3 months, and her chair occupied the spot where I was doing my spinning. She left 2 weeks ago, but then I slipped a disc in my back and I haven't been able to sit ever since. It feels like I'm heading in right direction, and I hope I'll be able to pick it back up pretty soon. I've got a boat load of fiber to spin, so I'm very excited.

3 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

Welcome to blogland, Ellen. Great picture of the girls.
You can go to your dashboard at blogger and delete the extra posts. Trust me, you can fix a lot with the edit button! I run spell check but sometimes still have either grammatical errors or spelling errors that occur after I've run spell check and need to add one more thing.

Tue Aug 29, 05:40:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Ellen said...

Thanks, Linda! Now I feel better. The only thing I need to do now is to figure out how to create links and such in the side bar. Maybe Lisa can give me some pointers when she's here on Friday?

Tue Aug 29, 08:52:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another blog to visit!

I rarely use blogger, but can give you techie advice if you need it.

I want to see your Icarus shawl sometime (not this weekend...I'm not here). Lisa mentioned that I might want to do that with some yarn I picked up from Christy and it looks neat.

The girls are cute!

Tue Aug 29, 08:59:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home