Wicked Witch of the Wool

My adventures in knitting and my daily life on the farm.

Friday, June 08, 2007

Pissed Off!

So, I have been spending countless hours these past few weeks trying to get my vegetable garden going. A few days ago we had 100 mph winds in some parts of the state, and although I don't think we got quite that much wind we still got a lot of very strong gusts here. We have had hail storms; 3 in 1 day. My veggie garden has survived reasonably well.
This morning I come outside and this is what's greeting me:

Dead Tomatoes



Dead Basil



Dead Cucumber



Frost! It dipped well below freezing overnight. If I had known in advance, I would have covered the tender plants. On the news they are saying that it has only dipped below freezing 2 other times in June in recorded history. And it has never done so as late as June 8th. I am exceptionally bummed, and frankly, pissed off. Now I get to start over again with a lot of my crop. The corn is looking very bad as well are the beans. Today the wind is blowing like mad. It is like Mother Nature wants to make sure that every plant that is not quite dead, will be.

Oh well. I assume I will have forgotten all about this in a month or two. On to other things. Look at this cool moth I spotted the other day:



It has been hanging out for a couple of days by the sliding glass door. I didn't see it today; maybe it felt a little cold overnight.
I went down in the pasture yesterday and picked a lovely bouquet of wild flowers.



I also have been finishing some socks:



The sock on the left is "Sauvie Island" from Blue Moon Fiber Arts, and the one on the right is "Rock and Weave" from the same. I love the little sheep buttons I used for the closure, and I really like both of these socks a lot.

Next weekend I'll be heading up to Estes Park Fiber Festival. I can't wait to fondle all the fibery goodness. Many of the girls from Spinners with Altitude will be going as well, so it should be a fun excursion.

2 Comments:

Blogger LostRoses said...

Hi Ellen, I found your site through Bev and I'm very sorry to read that you had three hailstorms in one day. Good heavens!

The best advice I ever heard about hailstorm damage is to give it a few days before you rip plants out, some of them will rejuvenate fairly well. But it's sad to see so much work ripped to shreds.

Your blog is very interesting!

Fri Jun 08, 09:10:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Bev said...

Oh Ellen... I would just sit down and cry! And say a few swear words. And have another glass of wine. What else can you do?? You have really had your share this year... worse than me. And heaven knows, I do enough complaining for everyone else.

Yes, the nurseries are in Colorado Springs. Be sure to treat yourself to a day and see Hillside. It will be good for the soul! Please feel free to email me directly at bevgardens@comcast.net.

Your socks are beautiful!!! What a wonderful creative gift you have. I used to live in Estes Park. Have a great time... you deserve it.

Mon Jun 11, 04:17:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home