Wicked Witch of the Wool

My adventures in knitting and my daily life on the farm.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Trouble......

This will be a picture-less post; for some reason Blogger won't let me upload pictures. As soon as I can get it to work I'll make sure to post them.

A wise dutchman once said: "if you want to learn how to swear, get a goat!"
How very true that is. Around 5.30PM yesterday I went out to do a goat check. The baby was no-where to be found. I looked literally EVERYWHERE until about 8PM. Annabelle was extremely upset, crying out loud and running all over the place. Now, we have 35 acres, most of which is covered in scrub oak. The goats have their enclosure, but the mesh in the hog panels is apparently just wide enough for a small goat kid to escape through. I went bush-whacking for what seemed like an eternity, but the little girl was simply gone. I listened for little goat cries; this baby had a healthy set of lungs and could easily be heard from a long distance. Nothing. Annabelle was inconsolable, and so was I. I let her have free reign of hte area fenced in for the dogs, which is a couple of acres. She spent the whole night on our deck, crying up a storm. My heart was breaking along with hers. She would peek inside the house to see if the baby was inside. This morning she was still crying. I had just hung up the phone from talking to my husband, letting him know that the baby most likely was taken by a bird. All of a sudden I noticed that Annabelle had stopped crying. I ran outside, fearing she was getting ill from the pressure in her udder, and what do I see? The little brat is latched onto a teat and wagging her short little tail. She is jumping around and playing like nothing is wrong. I don't get it, I really don't. I know for sure she wasn't with her mama for at least 16 hours. By all accounts she should have died from exposure and dehydration. We'll probably never know for sure what she was up to. Kid, thy name is Trouble. Trouble and Annabelle are currently in Goat Prison, and only get outside under strict supervision until we can get some chicken wire fencing up to prevent any more breakouts. I'm sure I've got lots more grey hair since yesterday.

Papa Lancelot is loving his new shelter. It is not finished yet; we need to put a front with an entrance door on it, but it is so nice and warm that it doesn't matter. Lancelot is especially enjoying the view from the roof. He can see all over his "empire" from the roof top.


It's amazing what a sleepless night can do for your productivity. I finished a pair of socks out of Mountain Colors yarn. It's the Diagonal Cross-Rib socks from Ann Budd.....


....and I also made a necklace and bracelet out of amber and green opal.

3 Comments:

Blogger Maus said...

Can't tell you how happy I am that Trouble is back! It really broke my heart to hear that she was lost....girls!!

Wed Mar 14, 06:04:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kids these days *sigh*

Wed Mar 14, 07:09:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Brie said...

Now are you sure that you really want to name her that? She may think it's free rein to cause more havok. :)

So glad she's back.

Thu Mar 15, 10:33:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home